Equipping Jesus-followers with a gospel-centered approach to sexuality
EQUIPPING: We will not simply theorize how to love; we will offer practical ways how.
JESUS-FOLLOWERS: Anyone who is willing to considerately engage a loving, historical, Christian sexual ethic is welcome.
GOSPEL-CENTERED: This is not orientation-change or reparative therapy. Attendees will dialogue about how everyone can submit their sexuality to the lordship of Christ through the power of the gospel. (The gospel: I am more sinful and more loved than I can believe or imagine.)
SEXUALITY: Everyone is born with broken sexuality. The focus will be on same-sex attraction, but we will also discuss gender and heterosexual sexuality.
Have you ever wondered, "If a traditional, Christian sexual ethic is true (one man + one woman for life), how do we love our LGBT+ friends, church members, clients, children, spouses, and neighbors well? How can we care well?"
This fall, Hole in my Heart Ministries is sponsoring a one-day conference for people seeking the answer. Listen, dialogue, and leave equipped with winsome, gospel-centered ways to journey alongside LGBT+ and same-sex attracted people for a lifetime. Anyone willing to considerately engage grace and truth is welcome.
Greg is a writer, a piano player, a baker, a worship leader, and a PhD candidate in English, not necessarily in that order. Though he calls central Pennsylvania home these days, he grew up on the Indonesian island of Java, and he feels more Asian than he looks. He's also the author of Single, Gay, Christian: A Personal Journey of Faith and Sexual Identity. Greg will lead worship, speak a bit, and answer some questions at the Caring Well Conference. To learn more about him visit gregorycoles.com.
There are 8 workshops to choose from (you can attend two):
- "Pastoring Well" How can pastors be faithful theologically while pursuing courageous love? --Pastor Dave Beelen, Dr. Matthew Tuininga, and Marvin Williams
- "Counseling Well" What is a shame and anxiety reducing, not-orientation change counseling model that holds to a Christian sexual ethic? --Matthew Krieg and TBD
- “Leading Students Well" How can youth leaders practically and pastorally engage grace/truth/love with students who live in a rapidly changing culture? --Dr. Preston Sprinkle and Ben Schulke
- "Parenting your LGBT+/SSA Child Well" Is there a different set of rules for a child who experiences same-sex attractions, gender confusion, or identifies as LGBT+? --TBD
- "Parenting Well in 2017" The world doesn't stop changing. How do we teach our children to engage culture and love their neighbor while maintaining a Christian sexual ethic? --Pastor Don Pearson
- "Doing Justice Well" How can we advocate for homeless, suicidal, and bullied LGBT+ people like Jesus? --Dr. Jeremy Norwood
- "Journeying Alongside Well" How can we love our LGBT+ friends, siblings, spouses, and neighbors like Jesus? --Laurie Krieg and a panel of friends
- "Working with Institutions Well " How can we hold to a Christian sexual ethic while loving and serving college students, summer campers, or people we serve at our jobs? --Dr. Mary Hulst and Dr. Gerald Longjohn
Students ages 17 and above are welcome and encouraged to attend. This age limit is not because the conference will be graphic, but because it is for caregivers and care-abouters. We want to equip parents, pastors, counselors, and mentors with a gospel-centered approach to sexuality. A current, valid student ID must be shown at conference to qualify for this $25 rate. (The "student rate" includes current students with a valid ID who are over the age of 25.)
Register first to take advantage of the $65 early registration fee! Beginning September 1 adult registration fees increase to $85 per person.
Groups of 8 or more who register together can take advantage of this special $50 rate!